Sunday, June 14, 2009

Solitude and Sanity

In my Understanding Child Development book, I learned that each child needs 15 minutes of one-on-one time with you every day.

-AND-

Each person needs 30 minutes of solitude to recharge. Every day.

All you young mothers out there are probably laughing right out loud. Yeah right. How is that cosmically possible? Maybe it only happens every 76 years, like Halley's comet, or something.

This could be the reason I've been so haggard lately. Solitude? Only in my sleep. And technically, not even then.

So I'm thinkin'...

Kids need naptime, or quiet time if they don't nap.

Kids who attend school should be given quiet time too. (I need to remember this when Sam starts school in the fall.)

It is painfully obvious that this isn't going to happen for me by accident, nor during the day at all. Probably the only time I'm going to get this is if I make an effort to snatch it for myself in the early morning.

I only get up willingly in the early morning if I've gotten to bed by 10:30. After that, it doesn't matter how much sleep I've gotten, I'm toast.

New goals: 1. Get to bed by 10:30. 2. Actually get out of bed when I wake up.

There's a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment