Monday, October 5, 2009

Social Situations

I'm not very old or wise, but I've been around long enough to know that I'm still fairly self-conscious in social situations, specifically: large groups. I hate them. I feel like I'm 15 years old all over again. I don't hate the people in them, I hate feeling overwhelmed by how many people there are to talk to and end up talking to none of them. Easy to do when you're constantly scanning the crowd counting, 1-2-3. Okay, all the kids are accounted for.

But, I'm starting to realize that most everybody else also feels self-conscious too. After thinking about it, I've decided the only way to make these situations tolerable, is for me to focus on making someone else comfortable. Then, and only then, do I have a good time.

Sounds good. If only I could remember this during the actual party, and not after.

1 comment:

  1. That's why I don't like large parties. I never know who to talk to, because it seems like everyone else is already angaged, and every time I try to enter a conversation is seems to stutter and stop. Yet I still keep going to parties, thinking "This time will be better." Yeah. Going to two large parties on Saturday and only know two people at one of them. One of the hosts, and the person of honor (baby shower). I'll have to go out on a limb and chat up someone I don't know. Wish me luck! And thanks for the tip about making others feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete